Spring Home Maintenance
Now that winter is coming to an end and the days are getting longer and the weather is getting warmer, it’s time to turn our attention to repairing the damage winter has cause and preparing your house for the coming warm weather. Home maintenance is a time consuming but necessary task that must be done in order to keep your home in tip top shape. Here are some of the things that should be addressed in your spring maintenance routine and some that should be addressed on a monthly basis.
Monthly Maintenance Jobs
- By checking your furnace and removing dust build-up on a regular basis, it’s easier to regulate thetemperature in your home which will ultimately decrease your utility bills.
- If you use a water softener, you should check salt levels and replenish if necessary.
- Vacuum heat registers and vents to remove dust build-up
- Test your smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors, fire extinguishers as well as all ground fault circuit interrupters.to make sure all are in good working order.
- Check that indoor and outdoor vents are not block and air can flow freely through them.
- Run ice and baking soda through your garbage disposal to clean and freshen it.
- Inspect your roof for missing, loose or damaged shingles and leaks
- Inspect chimney for damage
- Replace your air conditioner filter
- Clean window and door screens and replace the glass or winter outer door with the cleaned screen door.
- Sand and reapply stain to your deck after repairing split or loose planks.
- Remove debris from gutters and downspouts.
- Repair or if necessary replace caulking and weather stripping around windows and doors.
- Have a professional service your air conditioner
- Drain your water heater to get rid of any built up sediment.
- Fertilize and if needed, seed your lawn.
- Vacuum your dryer vent
- Check for damage to your sidewalks, driveway, fencing and patio.
- Vacuum your refrigerator coils located on the bottom or back of your refrigerator.
By performing all of these tasks, your home will run more efficiently and you will see reduce energy bills. Being a homeowner is a big responsibility, but once you get into the hang of your monthly and seasonal upkeep your repair list will shrink and your home will run as smoothly as it should. If all this sounds too overwhelming and time consuming, Andy OnCall® has skilled handymen ready to take care of all of it for you.